Aid and Attendance Pension For Veterans

Under the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Veterans are entitled to benefits, such as an Aid and Attendance Pension if he or she suffered injuries during combat. If a Veteran meets certain eligibility requirements, he or she may be entitled to compensation for a caregiver, which can include a family member. Commonly, this benefit is used in situations where a person is currently residing in an assisted living facility and must prevent his or her assets from being depleted. To qualify for Aid and Attendance Pension, a person must meet the following criteria:

  • Served at least 90 days active duty with one day served during specific wartime periods, which includes World War I, World War II, Korean conflict, Vietnam, Gulf War and must not have been dishonorably discharged.
  • Must be declared permanently and totally disabled. This means that the person is living in a skilled nursing facility, is totally blind, or significantly disabled that he or she requires regular care by another person to perform daily tasks, such as bathing.
  • Meet certain financial requirements. An applicant must show that his or her monthly medical expenses exceed their income.

If the eligibility requirements are satisfied, a veteran or spouse may be entitled to receive an Aid and Attendance Pension. The maximum benefits are as follows:

  • Single Veteran – $1,794.00 per month;
  • Widow of a Veteran – $1,153.00 per month;
  • Married Veteran – $2,127.00 per month; and
  • Veteran couple – $2,841.00 per month.

Currently, an Aid and Attendance Pension does not have look-back period into an applicant’s assets. However, it is still a complex process that requires the attention of a skilled Veteran’s Affairs attorney. In addition, it is worth noting that if an applicant is denied, he or she reserves the right to appeal the decision. With that being said, it is important to contact an experienced VA lawyer who may assist you or a loved one through the process.

The attorneys of Sullivan & Kehoe, LLP concentrate their practice in Veterans Disability Law. With over 50 years of combined experience between its lawyers, our attorneys may assist you or a loved one in obtaining an Aid and Attendance Pension. Call our office at (800) 395 -7830 to schedule a consultation in our New York City, Garden City, Kings Park, Riverhead, or White Plains office.

One thought on “Aid and Attendance Pension For Veterans”

  1. My uncle is a veteran, so it’s good to know that he can get a pension for his service since he served for over 90 days actively. It’s also good to know that because he’s married, he can get more money, as he’ll be able to properly care for his family. I’ll share this article with him, so he can get these benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Main Office

Additional Locations

Appointments available in our Manhattan office.
(One block away from Penn Station)

1205 Franklin Avenue
Suite 330
Garden City, NY 11530

By Appointment Only

524 East Main Street
Suite 202
Riverhead, NY 11901

By Appointment Only
(Opposite Social Security Office)

Skip to content