In the United States, there are over 13 million veterans who are over the age of 65. Housebound is a pension service program provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The Housebound program provides supplemental income to disabled veterans who are confined to their home. The income provided by this program is in addition to the veteran’s monthly pension payment.
To qualify for Housebound, a person must meet the following requirements:
- Collecting a basic monthly pension payment;
- Have a countable family income below the limit set by law;
- A housebound veteran with no dependents – $16,089.
- A housebound veteran with one dependent – $20,166 (Add $2,250 for each additional dependent).
The former veteran must also be:
- Age 65 or older; or
- Totally and permanently disabled; or
- A patient in a nursing home; or
- Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD); or
- Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
As part of the Housebound application, a licensed physician must provide a detailed report of the veteran’s disability and current condition, as well as any other supporting documentation. Also, evidence of the veteran’s daily needs should be incorporated into the application as well. Daily needs may include assistance with cooking, bathing, and transportation.
If you or a loved one needs assistance applying for Housebound benefits or has had an application for veterans’ benefits denied, it is important to contact an experienced VA lawyer who may assist you through the process. Filing an application for veterans’ disability benefits or appealing an application that has been denied, is a complex process that requires the attention of a skilled Veterans’ Affairs attorney.
The attorneys of Sullivan & Kehoe, LLP concentrate their practice in Veterans’ Disability Law. With over 50 years of combined experience between its lawyers, the firm’s attorneys may be able to assist you or a loved one in obtaining veterans’ disability benefits. For more information or to schedule a consultation in our New York City, Garden City, Kings Park, Riverhead, or White Plains office, call (800) 395 -7830.