When people try to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), often they will try to fill out their applications on their own. They may believe that getting legal assistance with their applications is unnecessary, an extra expense on top of everything else they need to fill out their application. However, there are many reasons you may want to get legal assistance with your SSDI or SSI application:
- They can help you avoid paperwork errors
- One of the biggest reasons to get legal assistance with your SSDI or SSI application is they can help you avoid errors on your paperwork. While this may not seem like a big deal, the fact of the matter is that half of all applications are denied precisely for this type of mistake. They can look over your application to ensure it is accurate and complete, avoiding the problems that may arise due to avoidable mistakes.
- They can help you obtain necessary documentation
- There are a number of important documents you will likely need in order to apply for SSDI or SSI benefits. This may include medical evidence of your disability, employment documents, tax documents, and anything else that may be relevant to your case. If you have legal assistance with your application, they can help you obtain all the relevant documentation so you are ready for whatever may come.
- They can help you overcome difficulties caused by your disability
- Another important reason to get legal assistance for your Social Security disability application is that they can help you overcome issues caused by your disability. The process of applying for disability benefits can be intensive even for people who are physically and psychologically healthy, but it can be brutal for people with disabilities. An experienced lawyer will understand these difficulties and help you to overcome them to get the benefits you deserve.
- They can argue on your behalf at hearings
- You may also want to get legal assistance with your application because they can argue on your behalf if you ever need to go to a hearing in front of the SSA. These are lawyers with knowledge and experience with the application process, so they are well equipped to make your case. That way, you can maximize your chances of success.
- They can help you appeal an unfavorable decision
- Finally, you should get legal assistance with your application because they can appeal your case if you are denied. The appeals process can be difficult and complicated, but it can give you a second chance at having your application approved. The sooner you get in contact, the sooner they can get to work on your behalf.
If you or a loved one need assistance applying for SSDI or SSI benefits, it is important that you seek the guidance of an experienced Social Security Disability benefits lawyer. The lawyers at Sullivan & Kehoe, LLP have over 50 years of combined experience between its attorneys and are available to you or your loved one in obtaining Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income benefits. To schedule a consultation with our New York Social Security Disability benefits lawyers, call (631) 823-7155.